Monday, May 17, 2010

3 Weeks, 3 Girls, 300 Bottles of Wine

Munich, Germany was our final destination.  The train ride there was hot and crowded and extremely miserable very hungover.  I wrote in our journal, conversed with other Americans and stared out the train window, listening to music and had some reflection time.  The song I listened to over and over again was "Caring is Creepy" by the Shins.  That song definitely changed me, it puts me in such a happy place and makes me feel giddy about the world.  We arrived in Munich and continued with our daily routine - finding our hostel, checking in, showering, grocery store trip to buy brie, salami, baguettes and wine and preparing for an evening out.  We hung out with locals, met many people traveling alone and shared our stories all night.  

From just the beginning of our backpacking trip to the end, it truly changed my life, my character and how I viewed the world and those surrounding it.  As a 21 year old girl, completely taken away from my comfort zone, this backpacking trip taught me so much about myself and life lessons. From cancelled trains, to being a broke college student, to being lost in large cities, to throwing out our entire itinerary the first day of arrival, to falling in love, to eating so much delicious foreign food, to sitting on a mountain overlooking Prague’s city picking apples off a tree for hours, through all the bad and the good, I relied on social survival skills to get through it all. No matter what happened, it was an experience and has shaped my personality today.


Sitting in a park in Zurich, just the beginning of our trip


For those that have never gotten the opportunity to travel, this whole blog should inspire you to!  It is such freedom not having an address and gives you such a thrill!  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment